Friday, December 2, 2016

Python Swap Function

In the coming semester it is likely that I will T.A. a course in Python. Lately I've been researching the language and using it for my pet projects that never get finished, interviews, etc...

One thing I found interesting is writing a swap in function. For some sorting algorithms we often have to swap the values at two indices in an array, so this does come up fairly often. What I found especially interesting was that you could do this in one line using Python. Where in most programming languages you have to write something like...

In Python, this can be written as... 

This is because Python evaluates assignments right to left. When the right hand side gets evaluated, Python creates a tuple (val_i, val_j) then assigns the variables in the left their corresponding tuple values. 

Most experienced Python programmers already knew this, but I found it pretty cool. All credit for the knowledge goes to this stack overflow post.

No comments:

Post a Comment